General, landscape: Small group of islands in the southeast of Franz-Josef-Land, between Salm Island and Wilczek Land. Its main island is about 8 km long and up to 4 km wide, mostly covered by an ice cap, the highest point of which reaches about 160 m above sea level. Major parts of the shore line are steep rock cliffs, reaching heights of 100 ma and above in the southeast. The other islands are smaller skerries to the northwest of the main island.
History: The islands were discovered from aboard the TEGETTHOFF in September 1873, which reached the northernmost position of its erratic drift briefly in September 1873 about 20 km southeast of the Hochstetter Islands, before finally freezing in stationary off Wilczek Island.
Otherwise, the island is of no significance for the history and tourism in the archipelago.
Name: Due to the double transscription of "Hochstetter" first into Russian kyrillic alphabet (which has no equivalent for "H"), and then literally back into latin writing without knowledge of the original name, the name "Gokhshtetter" appears in some newer western publications and on some newer western maps instead of "Hochstetter".