General: Small island in the Young Sound south of the center of Franz-Josef-Land, between Hooker Island and Leigh Smith Island. Maximal length ca. 6 km. The island consists of a larger tabular mountain in its north and a small mountain in the south, connected by a low land bridge. Maximal heights about 200 m. The plateau tops are free of ice, but there are a few small glaciers in depressions in the mountain slopes.
History, name: The island was mapped by the Jackson-Harmsworth expedition (1894-97) and is named after the British Royal Geographic Society. It played no significant role in the history of the archipelago.