General, scenery: Luigi Island (370 km², elevations up to ca. 440 m) is situated north of Markham Sound and east of the Britannia Channel. The landscape of the island is dominated by the fragmented remains of a former mountain plateau, where both the flat tops and the valleys in between are mostly glaciated. Just a few capes with steep rock faces and some plateau edges in the inland look out of the ice. Glaciers on the island are losing thickness and are retreating at their front on almost the whole island.
History: Parts of the island (southern coast to Cape Richthofen in the West) were seen already by the TEGETTHOFF expedition in May 1874 and are vaguely sketched on their map. The western part of the island was mapped by the Jackson-Harmsworth Expedition (1894-97) and then again by the STELLA POLARE expedition of Luigi Amadeo di Savoia - Duca degli Abruzzi (Duke of the Abruzzes). Until the Fiala-Ziegler Expedition (1903-05), the east of the island remained unknown, and also its character as an island of its own, being separated from neighbouring Champ by the Pohnsdorff Narrows: until Fiala, the whole area was thought to be one big island.
Luigi Island played no relevant role in the history of the archipelago.
Names: The island was named after Duke Luigi Amadeo di Savoya, leader and sponsor of the STELLA POLARE expedition 1899/1900. The island is a good example for the wide-spread name confusion, typical for Franz-Josef-Land. The original name, Luigi, is Italian, the transcription into an English pronounciation would be something like "Looedgy". When transcibed into Russian kyrillic letters, the interpreter seemingly, however, assumed an English pronounciation of the Italian name. Modern retransscriptions of that kyrillic result into latin letters, not taking into account the historic original, then end up with "Lyuydzhi". I am not sure whether the duke would recognize himself in this strange sequence of letters.
The westernmost point is Cape Armitage, named after a member of the Jackson-Harmsworth expedition. On the early maps, there is still a distinction between Cape Armitage (there: northwesternmost point) and Cape Richthofen (westernmost point, named by the TEGETTHOFF expedition in May 1874 after having spotted it vaguely from long distance). The easternmost point was called Cape Savoia by the Fiala-Ziegler expedition, honoring the leader of their predecessing expedition.
Coastal sceneries :