Overview Franz Josef Land, map
General: Northernmost island in the western part of Franz-Josef-Land, situated on the 81th northern parallel at a distance of about 10 km from the northern shore of Prince George Land.
The biggest part of the low island with an area of about 110 km² is covered by the Leningradskiy Ice Cap, with a maximal height of about 270 m above sea level. Only to the north and south are some ice-free parts, plus some narrow coastal stretches on the west side.
History: The official first sighting of the island happened during the final major sledge exploration tour of the Jackson-Harmsworth Expedition in spring 1897, which however stayed on Prince George Land and put the island only vaguely onto its map - plus some even more northern islands (Harmsworth Island, Albert Edward Island), which lateron were proved to have been phantoms.
The name commemorates Arthur Montefiore Brice, secretary of the Jackson-Harmsworth Expedition.
A more detailed exploration of the island happened only during the Soviet period.