General: Almost circular Salm Island is one of the southernmost isles of Franz-Josef-Land and is covered almost completely by a gently rising central icecap (Chernysheva Icecap) which rises up to 300 m above sea level. Maximal extension: about 20 km. Only in the south, there is a rocky ice-free lowland of about 10 km² sticking out under the ice, and there are a few other rocks and plateau edges visible elsewhere along the icy coastline.
History: Salm Island was discovered in September 1873 by the TEGETTHOFF expedition, which was drifting with currents and wind at that time, trapped in the ice, a bit further south, until it froze fast in a continuous ice sheet all the way to land off Wilczek Island in winter 1873/74. In early 1874, Salm was explored together with the surrounding other islands.
The island has played no significant role in the history of the archipelago.
Name: Named by the TEGETTHOFF expedition after the Salm-Hoogstraeten family, which was among the sponsors of the TEGETTHOFF expedition.