General: Hohenlohe Island, about 10 km south of Rudolf Island (maximal extension ca. 10 km, area ca. 38 km²) ranks among the smaller islands in the highest North of the archipelago. It is almost completely covered by 2 joining and mostly gently rising icecaps (elevation up to 200m), which terminate with mostly moderate ice fronts on almost all coast parts into the sea. Just a few rocky capes and some plateau edges point out of the ice - most prominent Cape Schrötter in the northeast. Off this cape, the small, low and ice-free Oktyabryata Islands lay out in the sea.
History, name: The island was discovered in spring 1874 by the exploratory sledging group from the TEGETTHOFF, led by Payer, which also went on land, put the island on the map and gave it its name after the German nobility house of Hohenlohe. A part of the group stayed behind here in the shelter of Cape Schrötter, while Payer and two other men explored Rudolf Island as their northernmost point, then returning to Cape Schrötter and from there jointly southward to the TEGETTHOFF.
Cape Schrötter was also the northernmost point reached on foot by the Payer-Weyprecht-Memorial-Expedition in May 2005 - continueing further to nearby Rudolf Island as their original destination was impossible, as the sea ice was too much broken up there, already, so they ordered their pick-up helicopter to nearby Torup Island.
Otherwise, the island is of no significance for the history and tourism in the archipelago.
Due to the double transscription of "Hohenlohe" first into Russian kyrillic alphabet (which has no equivalent for "H"), and then literally back into latin writing without knowledge of the original name, the name "Gogenloe" appears in some newer western publications and on some newer western maps instead of "Hohenlohe".